5 Important Non-Surgical Facelift Questions to ask your Doctor
Our faces show our age. As our skin loses elasticity, it sags and causes wrinkles.
We live in an age where “#flawless” is trending, so it’s no wonder many people are turning to surgical treatments and procedures to counter this effect.
Surgical facelifts have long been the preferred treatment for those looking to freshen up their face, but did you know there is a non-surgical procedure available?
It’s called a non-surgical facelift. It will give you a youthful yet natural look without going under the knife.
Interested? Keep reading for more information, including five non-surgical facelift questions to take to your doctor
What Is a Non-Surgical Facelift?
The non-surgical facelift, also called an “8 Point Lift” or a “Liquid Lift” is a technique that restores volume to eight strategic areas of your face. They perform the procedure using dermal fillers to lift and support your skin.
The procedure is popular for those who are experiencing skin laxity. Laxity refers to "face drooping” or skin sagging, looking tired, and the formation of jowls along the jawline.
The non-surgical facelift technique targets these specific areas to create a youthful result that is basically painless and requires no downtime.
The 8 Point Technique
The eight points provide your doctor with an initial treatment plan. They will use the strategic points to tailor the procedure to your needs. For this reason, they will require an initial consultation to determine next steps.
The strategic points include the following areas:
- Tear trough: Tear trough fillers will reduce the appearance of dark hollows under your eyes.
- Cheekbones and cheek structure: The procedure enhances your cheekbones and lifts the nasolabial folds by adding a small amount of volume to this area.
- Nasolabial folds: This area beside your nose deepens with age. Adding a small amount of volume to these folds can revive your youthful appearance.
- Jawline: It’s common to lose the squareness of our jaws as we age. If your jaw used to have more of an angle you’ve lost, a liquid facelift can enhance the angle and lift sagging jaws.
- Prejowl area: If you have a significant loss of volume in your jaw, cheek, and chin area, the doctor will replace the volume in the hollow along your jawline. This may reduce or significantly improve jowls.
- Mouth corners: As we age, our mouth takes on a permanent frown. Dermal filler will give your mouth support to prevent down turning of your mouth. You won’t only look younger, but happier, too!
- Lower cheek or buccal area: The accordion smile lines some of us develop as we age make us look haggard. Treating this area with dermal filler improves the natural curve and gives structure to your cheeks.
Now that you know which areas of your face a non-surgical facelift will address, it’s time to think about what you’ll ask during your initial consultation.
Here are five questions you may want to consider.
1. Am I a Good Candidate for non surgical face lift?
If you think you are experiencing a loss of collagen and elasticity in your skin, you might be a great candidate for a full facelift.
Most patients decide to look into facelifts around the age of 38-40, but if you’re younger than that and unhappy with sagging skin, it might be time to consider one. You should address any concerns with your provider.
Your doctor will perform a full facial analysis to determine how to tailor your lift to your needs.
2. How Long Does the Procedure Take for non surgical face lift?
Usually the non-surgical facelift procedure takes 30-60 minutes, depending on the level of facelift you’re receiving. There will also be additional time to consult with your provider at the beginning and care instructions at the end.
It’s always wise to allow for extra time, so plan on a 60-90 minute appointment so you can take care of any paperwork before or ask questions after.
3. Does It Hurt?
Patients report minimal discomfort from a liquid facelift. And any discomfort is usually brief.
In addition, the dermal fillers include local anaesthetics. This numbness makes the procedure generally pain-free.
4. Are There Any Possible Side Effects for a non surgical face lift?
Any side effects associated with a full facelift are minimal and temporary. If side effects present, the most common are pain or tenderness, firmness, swelling, itching, redness, bruising, and temporary discolouration.
A few patients experience temporary skin blanching (whitening of the skin) immediately following treatment.
In most cases, your provider can reverse the treatment if you are concerned about side effects.
5. What Is the Recovery Like for Non surgical face lift?
Most people receive a non-surgical facelift procedure and walk out of the office with no downtime. You can even apply mineral makeup and head back to work.
Like most cosmetic procedures, we recommend that you don’t engage in strenuous exercise for the first day or so. You should also avoid pools and saunas and drinking alcohol during that time.
If your goal for having the facelift is to look great for a special event, schedule the treatment for four to six weeks before the big day. It can take several weeks for the treatment to settle properly into your skin.
Try to avoid this procedure if your big event is less than two weeks away. If you experience redness or bruising, you want to avoid seeing that in photographs!
If you’re planning to fly internationally, don’t get a liquid facelift within one week of your flight. A long flight can prolong swelling, which increases your chance of infection after the procedure.
Ask Your Doctor These Non-Surgical Facelift Questions
Just because a non-surgical facelift doesn’t involve surgery, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take it seriously.
It is a cosmetic treatment that you need to prepare for. This includes becoming informed and being prepared with a list of questions for your provider. These five non-surgical facelift questions serve as a starting place — add your own to address any additional concerns.
Operator technique is also important, so choose your skin doctor carefully. We aim to solve your cosmetic-related woes with safer, non-surgical treatments. Our doctor uses the highest quality products in the industry and will work with you to ensure your satisfaction.
Interested in making an appointment or scheduling a consultation? Contact us today!