Full, plump lips - a sign of youth that is highly coveted all over the world. But in both men and women, loss of lip volume is a natural, inevitable part of the ageing process. For some, thin lips are even genetic by design. This is where aesthetic intervention comes into play.
It's no secret that women have been getting lip fillers to enhance their natural features for years, but what about men? You may be surprised to learn that there are actually many men who get lip filler injections at Dr Aesthetica and loving their results.
Over the past decade, the demand for aesthetic procedures for men, especially cosmetic injections, has been steadily increasing. But when it comes to lip fillers, men who want to augment their pout should know a few things before they go under the needle. In this blog, we'll break down the ins and outs of lip filler for men.
The Differences Between Lip Augmentation For Men & Women
Although women are still more likely to undergo non-surgical facial augmentation than men, it's important to be aware of the differences in treatment for both sexes.
Not only are there distinct biological and anatomical differences. For example, men are more likely to have a smaller upper lip that can be easily covered by their beard. Men also have larger facial muscles that may need more product. Research has shown that most men's metabolism is much faster, so fillers dissolve more quickly. All these are factors that need to be taken into account.
In addition, men and women usually have different aesthetic goals when seeking non-surgical treatment. Women usually want to soften their facial features and achieve a youthful appearance by eliminating lines and wrinkles.
In contrast, men typically want to define sharp facial contours while subtly reducing signs of ageing to achieve a traditionally masculine appearance. This calls for a more tailored approach to injectables for each gender.
When it comes to lip fillers, most men are looking for subtle enhancement focused on shape and definition. In general, most don't want to look like they've had anything done. Most are also afraid of their face being feminised by lip filler injections. For example, most men are looking for fuller but not pouty lips.
Also, keep in mind that even a slight alteration in the shape of the lips can affect the overall facial harmony. The lip filler may need to be combined with other injectables for better symmetry.
Benefits of Lip Filler Treatment For Men
Here are some of the benefits men can expect from lip fillers.
- Balance out the size of your top and lower lip to enhance the natural look of your lips. The right balance between the lower and upper lip is the key to achieving a more youthful aesthetic.
- Give your cupid's bow and philtrum columns more definition and shape. This reduces the flatness that comes with ageing lips.
- Add volume to your lips, especially for men with naturally thin lips or a narrower upper lip that tends to disappear under facial hair.
- After growing the perfect beard, many men feel that their lips have disappeared and want to accentuate their appearance a little.
- Perioral rejuvenation. The perioral area is the region around the lips that is prone to age-related volume loss and bone atrophy. This leads to hollowing, which also needs to be addressed as well.
- Deep hydration. For men who are tired of carrying around a lip balm or struggling with age-related dehydration, hyaluronic acid (HA)-based lip fillers can prove to be the ultimate multitasker. It will hydrate your lips and give you a softer look that isn't necessarily voluminous. You can think of them as a perpetual chapstick (at least for a few months).
What Men Can Expect from Lip Filler Treatments
The lip is full of nerves, so it can feel more sensitive than other areas. Injecting filler into this area can feel like tiny ant bites, but the sensation varies from patient to patient. Numbing cream can be used, and the lidocaine in the filler will numb the area and improve your comfort.
As with all injectables, bruising and swelling are common side effects. But both usually disappear within about a week.
While the results of HA filler are immediate, it takes one to two weeks for the area to settle fully. At that point, it may be time to revisit your provider to assess the results. As most men aim for a natural-looking result, we advise filling the lips gradually over several appointments.
While hyaluronidase can be injected to dissolve HA fillers, it's much easier to add volume than to remove it. Depending on the type of filler you get, it usually lasts six months to two years.
Immediately after treatment, placing an ice pack on your lips will help to reduce bruising and swelling. As with all of our treatments, we provide you with an aftercare guide to reduce the likelihood and longevity of side effects.
Where Men Can Get Lip Fillers in Birmingham, UK
Injecting fillers is both a science and an art. That's why you should only trust the treatment of a qualified and experienced injector. This way, you can avoid unsatisfactory results. When looking for filler clinics in Birmingham, UK, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Be well informed about the type of filler used or its main ingredient.
- Only go to a trained or experienced injector/provider.
- Avoid cheap filler or heavily discounted offers.
- Treatment should be performed in a medical or clinical setting (not a typical salon or spa).
Dr Aesthetica in Birmingham, UK, has world-class doctors who are trained in Botox and fillers. Our medical and scientific director, Dr Baldeep, is a UK Board-certified physician and has years of experience with Botox and fillers, including lip fillers for men. Want to find out more about lip fillers or find out if you're a suitable candidate? Contact us today to schedule a consultation with our aesthetic doctor.