Skincare treatments has the power to TRANSFORM skins, faces and lives.
And the 116-year-old procedure of “microneedling” is the prized jewel of skincare treatments.
To give you ALL the information about microneedling, our experts at Dr Aesthetica have created this in-depth guide. Today you will learn:
- What the art of Microneedling is?
- How to rejuvenate your skin quickly.
- Benefits, Results and Costs of this treatment.
- And much more!
What is Microneedling?
The concept of microneedling is simple.
In this procedure, medical specialists use very small needles to prick the skin. This results in thousands of microscopic punctures.
Our body cannot allow these punctures (regardless of size) to exist on the skin. Therefore, it instantly starts the healing process of generating new skin tissue and collagen. The end product is a smother and firmer skin.
Microneedling can be done on scars, wrinkles and large pores and is an effective anti-ageing procedure. While major changes may not be seen after one session, if it is done regularly (2-3+ sessions), it can result in lots of positive benefits.
So, if you are in good health and are looking to better your skin, microneedling is a great option for skin quality.
Talk to Dr Aesthetica about the ideal steps to take for your skin.
Is Microneedling painful?
Although microneedling might sound painful, in reality you may just feel a slight bitof discomfort. Usually, you will feel this more near your hairline and jaw area as there is less fat there.
However, our body is VERY resilient and punctures on a microscopic level will not cause harm to it.
Nevertheless, at Dr Aesthetica, we often apply local anaesthetic cream to make your experience more comfortable.
The Secret Science Behind Microneedling
Collagen is the most abundant protein found in the human body. It is responsible for creating tight and glowing skin.
In fact, when we get a scar - for example from a knife – our body sends extra collagen to fix the damage.
But not ALL scars work like this…
Acne scarring and stretch marks usually have very small amounts of collagen. Also, wrinkles are formed as a result of Collagen production decreasing due to age.
In order to fix this, microneedling creates microscopic punctures in the same position as the old scars (acne scars, wrinkles or stretch marks). This results in the body sending extra collogen to fix the punctures. The extra collogen create a “collagen layer” over the punctures, which also ends up covering the old scars as well.
The whole process is very non-invasive way and a very safe way to better your skin.
Will I See Results Instantly?
The beauty of microneedling is that you will get a range of results over a period of time.
Some things such as skin tightening can happen INSTANTLY after the session. Therefore, already showing you the benefits of this treatment.
Yet, other benefits can arrive up to four to six weeks after your treatment. This is the time it will take for your body to increase collagen production so you can get new, healthy skin.
Yes, we all want instant gratification, but some things are worth the wait.
Also, there are a few advantages of waiting this long…
Firstly, your new skin will be completely NATURAL. Microneedling is just a way of telling your body to ramp up production of collagen in certain areas.
It is FREE of chemicals, stitching, incisions or anything along that line.
Secondly, since the change is gradual, it might make it more COMFORTABLE at the workplace. A sudden facial change over the weekend can make your colleagues question what kind of treatment you have done.
BUT a gradual change over a few weeks will make people positively wonder what you have done to have such a young, glowing, firm skin.
Tips before your Microneedling session
The preparation phase for microneedling can be very exciting. However, do keep in mind these followings tip to ensure a SMOOTH session:
- Avoid any drugs or nutritional supplements that are intended to thin the blood at least 72 hours before your microneedling. This can include supplements such as ginger, turmeric, vitamin E and fish oil.
- From at least 1 week before your session, do not use any alternative hair removal methods (apart from shaving) such as laser hair removal, waxing, electrolysis, etc.
- Stop trying out any new cosmetic at least 14 days before your treatment. Other cosmetic treatments that should be avoid are physical exfoliation and chemical peel. The point of all this is to not make your skin sensitive.
- Avoid UV damage on your skin in the week leading up to your appointment. Do not use tanning beds and apply regular sunscreen.
- On the day of your appointment, do not put on any make up. If you are microneedling your body, wash it with gentle soap that has worked on your body for a few months prior. This applies as well to those microneedling their faces (use a gentle face cleaner).
During the Procedure of Microneedling
It all begins with a consultation.
Microneedling is good for ALL ages and skin types. However, it is still important for us to have a look at your skin and understand your goals and needs.
If this treatment is the correct option for you, we will start by applying local anaesthetic cream to your skin. It takes about 30-60 minutes for the cream to come to effect.
So, while you wait, here is some information about the apparatus we will use on your skin…
To create the microscopic punctures, we use SkinPen. It has 14 slick Japanese Needles that can creates THOUSANDS of punctures in a few minutes.
However, the beauty of the SkinPen is the adjustable needle depth. Some parts of our skin contain more fat and require a deeper depth, and this can all be controlled using the pen.
It is also one of the only microneedling that is FDA approved. The SkinPen is also clinically proven to be effective but most importantly, safe. According to survey, almost 90% of those who have a treatment with SkinPen will recommend the service to their friends or family.
Once your skin has become numb, it will be sterilized, and we use the SkinPen on your desired area of treatments. This takes about 30 minutes to finish.
In total, you will have spent around 1 hour for this whole procedure.
There is also a common a misconception that Microneedling is only used for the face. This is WRONG. The SkinPen can be used anywhere on the body as long as the desired skin area does not have any infections.
You can use this treatment to remove any stretch marks present on your back, thighs, buttocks, abdomen, hips or arms. A series of microneedling can also help give you a neck life.
In summary, we can use Microneedling to help these following conditions on ANY part of your body:
- Wrinkles and fine lines.
- Skin that is sagging.
- Uneven pigmentation and sunspots.
- Acne scars.
- Issues with redness and skin tone issues.
Microneedling Aftercare Tips
Congrats, you have just finished a great session of microneedling. But what must you do 24 hours after the treatment to GUARANTEE most benefits?
- Keep your skin Hydrated: Your skin may feel quite dry after microneedling. All our sessions of Microneedling come with a recovery serum. We recommend putting this on several times a day to boost results. However, be sure to stay away from chemical moisturizers that contain any active ingredients.
- Do not sleep on your back or side: You should not get your fresh skin to rub against the pillow.
- Avoid blood thinning supplements or drugs: Similar to before microneedling, avoid these supplements or drugs for at least 7 days after the procedure.
- No Makeup: Get your microneedling done on a Friday and then spend the weekend without any makeup. We recommend staying from makeup for 24-72 hours.
- Avoid Sunlight: Sunlight that directly hits your skin can cause premature aging. So do NOT expose your brand-new skin to the sun for a few days. If this is not possible, just get your treatment done in winter.
- Stop Picking your skin! Let fall off naturally.
- Do not exercise: Yes, we are sorry. But sweat will slow down the recovery process. Just give yourself a well-earned rest, you deserve it!
Are There Any Side-Effects?
This procedure is very safe. However, there may be a few side effects.
With microneedling, skin irritation and redness can occur after a few days after. However, this is completely natural, and your body is simply recovering from the microscopic punctures.
Other side-effects that have been reported are:
- Swelling on the skin
- Dryness that may cause some skin flaking (just moisturize and you will be fine)
Usually most of these side-effects disappear after 48 hours and you can usually just go back to school or work.
If you feel uncomfortable with the redness of your skin, just apply some camouflaging make up till the redness goes away. This can be done 48 hours after treatment.
How long does the effects of Microneedling last?
This is a VERY difficult question to answer as each skin is wonderfully unique. It is impossible to be certain how long the treatment will last.
From our experience you can enjoy the results for around six months (can be more or less). However, after this, your skin will NOT go back to what it was before you started microneedling.
You will simply need one session to replenish the collagen and you can continue for many more months.
Also, if you take good care of your skin, this six-month period can be extended MUCH longer.
The sky is the limit.
Here are a few tips to lengthen the period of beautiful, firm skin:
- Get all your vitamins. This includes vitamins A, C, D, E and K. Also, take all the B vitamins.
- Do not smoke. Smoking has a negative effect on the quality of your skin, destroying the collagen in your skin.
- Decrease alcohol intake. Alcohol can dilate your pores of the skin.
- At least eight cups of water per day and more. Hydration can do miracles for you skin. So, drink up on water!
- Decrease sugar and processed food. Apart from better skin, this will also make you lead a healthier life.
How many sessions do I usually need?
On average, people need between three to six treatments for the final result. If you are young, it can be done in one or two treatments as well. Once again, it depends individually as every skin is unique and has been treated differently.
Different goals can also take different number of treatment sessions. Have a look below:
- To get a facial rejuvenation you will probably require 3-5 sessions with each being 2-4 weeks apart.
- To work on wrinkles, you will probably require 5 sessions with each being between 2-4 weeks apart.
- For acne scar removal it can take around 3-6 sessions with each being 3-6 weeks apart.
- For stretch mark removal it can also take around 3-6 sessions with them being 4-6 weeks apart.
Costs of Microneedling
At Dr Aesthetica, we focus on having transparency and no extra hidden costs. Therefore, below are our costs for a range of sessions:
- A single session with us will cost £175 (UK pounds).
- Three sessions with us will cost £450 (UK pounds).
- Six sessions with us will cost £750 (UK pounds).
Is this something you are interested in? Contact us using THIS link.
Can Microneedling help acne?
Unfortunately, there is NO specific acne treatment.
However, microneedling does help with acne in some cases by unclogging pores and reducing pore sizes. In such a way, you get rid of excess oil.
While acne medication does not become more effective with this procedure, microneedling can make it easier for the medicine to enter your skin and go deeper to do its job.
Important: Some acne medications are not suitable with microneedling. ALWAYS consult your local dermatologist or skin specialist before starting any treatments such as this.
Microneedling with other facial treatments
Take things step by step.
We do NOT recommend using other facial treatments alongside microneedling. This can decrease the efficiency of both the procedures.
Can I Do Microneedling at home?
You cannot use equipment such as SkinPen at home.
The other alternative to microneedling is using dermal rollers. However, we do not recommend using this.
Firstly, microneedling works due to the strict hygiene protocols that we follow. We sterilize your skin, and our needles are always brand new.
Unfortunately, this level of hygiene may not be guaranteed in every home session of dermal rollers use. Your skin may not be perfectly sterile nor the needles of the dermal rollers.
Secondly, you receive great numbing cream before the SkinPen. This makes the experience COMFORTABLE.
When you use a dermal roller at home, the needles of the dermal rollers are thicker than SkinPen, causing you more pain. This pain cannot be alleviated as you will not have any access to anesthetic creams.
Using an at home dermal roller creates crater shaped wounds which are larger and take longer to heal.
To Microneedle or not to Microneedle
If you are looking to fix any acne scars, stretch marks or wrinkles, microneedle is a PERFECT non-invasive way to do it.
The procedure is not painful, and you can go back to work in as little as 24 hours. In a matter of few weeks, your skin will be completely rejuvenated.
Once you have achieved you reached your desired skin quality, you can simply visit every 6 months for a single microneedling session in order to have flawless, firm skin forever.