Human beings spend an incredible 103,680 minutes (or 72 days) of their lives shaving, waxing or plucking their hair.
The lifetime costs of these hair removal procedures can EASILY exceed £10,000, according to the latest studies.
But there is a solution to save your precious time and money: Laser Hair Removal.
Our experts at Dr Aesthetica have crafted a detailed guide about laser hair removal. Today you will learn:
- What laser hair removal is.
- The biology behind it.
- And much more!
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
This treatment is easy to understand.
Laser hair removal works by targeting the pigments of each strand of hair and applying a powerful ray of light to it. This light originates from a medical-grade laser.
Consequently, this light travels down the strand of hair towards the hair follicle. The energy carried by the light ray is sufficient to DESTROY the hair follicle upon meeting.
Recalling our high school biology lessons, hair follicles anchor the hair onto the skin.
Therefore, if the hair follicles are destroyed, hair cannot re-grow.
Since each individual hair grows at a different rate, most people need multiple laser hair removal sessions to remove ALL the desired hair completely.
Benefits of Laser Hair Removal
There are many benefits to laser hair removal:
- Permanent reduction of hair: This treatment has been proven to offer an EFFECTIVE hair reduction of up to 90%! Any hair that dares to grow back will be thinner and softer.
- Reduction of ingrown hairs: Shaving, waxing or plucking can leave a LOT of ingrown hairs, shaving rashes and stubbles. These are both painful and can often look unpleasing. However, laser hair treatment guarantees none of this occurring.
- Save your time and money: Two of your most important resources, time and money are saved from never having to shave or wax again. As mentioned in the beginning, that is an extra 72 days and £10,000+.
- Improved skin tone and better skin texture: Pigmentation and uneven skin are common symptoms of shaving and waving. Once again, laser hair removal prevents any of this from happening.
Does Laser Hair Removal hurt?
There are MANY things that can hurt more…
Laser hair removal causes mild discomfort, especially around regions of low fat (nose, jawline, cheekbone, etc.). Most of our patients describe the experience as an elastic band being lightly pinged against your skin.
Customers say that this treatment is way less painful than waxing. The problem with waxing is that it causes pain across an entire region of the skin.
With laser hair removal, you will only feel the heat in specific areas.
We also try to counter this heat by using a cooling system that blows cold air to the area in which heat gets applied.
Preparation for Laser Hair Removal
The most critical phase in this treatment is preparation. The preparation phase can make or break your hair removal experience.
Step one of this treatment is to find an EXCELLENT skin specialist with the correct training and stellar reviews. Furthermore, the skin specialist must show in-depth knowledge about this topic (not just the information found on Google).
All our specialists at Dr Aesthetica have completed a level 4 in laser hair removal. Therefore, we recommend you only consult individuals at such levels.
This is your skin, after all. You must treat it with utmost respect and quality.
Once you have found your desired doctor, schedule a consultation. These consolations usually revolve around understanding your body and your goals. The doctor will check on the following:
- Your medical history which includes disorders or scarring, past hair removal procedures, history of skin and medication use.
- You will be informed on the risks, benefits and costs. However, it is important to note that the costs of laser hair removal are NOT covered by insurance and are usually paid out of pocket.
- Photos will be taken and used for before-and-after assessments.
- We also discuss expectations and what the possibilities with laser hair removal are.
We STRONGLY recommend you adhere to the below instructions to prepare for your laser hair removal. Following these instructions ensures your safety and maximum results:
- Stay out of the sun: It is best to avoid sun exposure a few weeks before (and usually after) the treatment. If forced to go outside, apply a strong sunscreen lotion.
- Do not darken your skin: Please avoid any skin creams that can darken your skin. If you have had a recent tan, doctors may provide you with a skin bleaching cream.
- Avoid other hair removal methods: Plucking, waxing and electrolysis can all disturb your hair follicles and should be avoided at least four weeks before your treatment.
And why try any inferior hair removal methods when you are about to receive the best hair removal treatment?
- Avoid blood-thinning medications: Be sure to avoid medicines that thin the blood, such as aspirin or anti-inflammatory drugs. If uncertain, always consult your doctor.
- Shave or trim the treatment area: Only on the day of the laser hair removal, we recommend that you trim or shave the area that will get lasered. This removes the useless hair above the skin but leaves the hair shaft below the skin intact.
Splendor X: The Best Machine for Laser Hair Removal
Before we explain the procedure of laser hair removal, it is essential that you understand the tool we use to remove your hair.
At Dr Aesthetica, we use the medically approved Splendor X. This is one of the most innovative and EFFICIENT technology for hair removal.
It is swift and works on your face, underarms, bikini area, legs and much more!
Splendor X is developed by the global giant in laser technology, Lumenis. It works by softly applying lasers beams that eventually destroys the hair follicles. Thus, you are GUARANTEED to reduce hair growth.
Furthermore, not a single piece of skin or tissue surrounding the hair is damaged in this process.
Splendor X uses the latest square beam technology and forgoes the traditional circular beams. Using the square beam technology allows our specialists to cover a larger area without any overlapping.
It is the BEST way to remove hair from anywhere in your body without the annoying burns that come with circular lasers.
Alongside fantastic performance, the Splendor X is smoke-free. Therefore, providing a much safer and more comfortable environment. Below are few statistics the tool assures of:
- Hair reduction between 85%-95% (yes, you read that correct, 95%!)
- Much less painful than any other method such as electrolysis and waxing.
- Very effective and RAPID in removing hair from large areas such as back or legs.
During the Procedure of Laser Hair Removal
The procedure of laser hair removal is MUCH less scary than you think. Here is what you can expect.
First, you will be seated on a medical chair, and the doctor will be cover your eyes for safety. Try to take a few deep breaths to calm your nerves.
The doctor will then press the Splendor X (or any other laser instrument) against your desired area of hair removal. You may already start to feel the cold air in that area.
When the doctor actives the instrument, the laser beams will start eliminating hair follicles. You will probably feel slight discomfort, but you will also feel the comfort of the cold air.
The timing of these procedures depends on the area of hair removal. For example, small regions such as the upper lip can take as little as 5 minutes. But larger areas, such as the back may take longer than an hour.
Congrats! You have successfully taken part in a laser hair removal treatment.
This is another thing you can tick off the bucket list.
After the Procedure
Once the procedure gets completed, the specialist may apply some steroid cream to the area if there is an adverse skin reaction.
Usually, people apply a bit of ice to the area.
The beauty about laser hair removal is that there is a little-to-no recovery time involved. So put on your clothes again and go back to your work (or any other activity).
Are There Any Side-effects to Laser Hair Removal?
The risk of side-effects does vary with age, skin type, hair colour, treatment plan, whether you followed pre-treatment advice and post-treatment care.
In general, the most common side effects of laser hair removal are:
- Skin Irrational. After the treatment, there can be a bit of discomfort, redness and swelling. Usually, these symptoms disappear after a few hours.
- Pigment Changes. You may see your skin darken or lighten because of this treatment. These changes can be temporary or permanent and mainly occurs with people who fail to avoid the sun before a treatment.
- Skin Changes (Rare). Although rare, laser hair removal can cause blistering, crusting, scarring and other changes to your skin texture. Some other rare side-effects are greying of the removed hair or excessive hair growth in the region around treated areas. This symptom often occurs more in people with darker skin.
Science Behind Laser Hair Removal
Time to understand the secret science behind laser hair removal…
Laser hair removal treatments start by sending an intense ray of light aimed selectively at an individual hair. Upon contact with the hair, the light destroys the melanin (colour) of the hair.
In such a way, the blood flow to the hair follicle is cut, effectively destroying the follicle and the hair. That’s pretty much it in the short run of things.
To get rid of unwanted hair, in the long run, we have to understand the hair growth cycle.
Like humans have stages of growth (birth, puberty, etc.), our hairs have a growth cycle too. These are described in detail below:
Anagen Phase: The hair is starting to grow. The scientific term for this is “active growth”.
Catagen Phase: This is the “in-between” phase, and it occurs where the hair stops growing.
Telogen Phase: The “end” phase is where the hair falls out, finishing the cycle. A new hair then starts to grow through the hair follicle.
Each of these phases will react differently when exposed to the strong laser beam. Hairs in the anagen phase and telogen phase will be much more effective in the treatment.
Hairs in the catagen phase are less likely to be bothered by the intense rays of light.
Is Laser Hair Removal Permanent?
People often get disappointed when they see hair regrowth just a few months after their extensive treatment.
But do not click away.
Slight hair regrowth does not mean that you will have to start your treatment all over again.
Just occasion touch-ups once or twice a year is ENOUGH to maintain your fantastic results for a long time.
How Many Treatments Are Needed?
This depends on the individual as everyone reacts differently to laser hair removal treatments.
Some may require more treatments, while others will require fewer treatments.
On average, we see the best results are between 4 to 8 treatments spaced over a period of 6 to 12 weeks.
Of course, the precise number of sessions and time is dependent on the area you want to target and the amount of hair in the region.
Our specialists will analyse your hair type, your skin colour, and other characteristics during the initial consultation. We can then provide you with a recommendation of the number of sessions that deliver the BEST results for your skin.
What NOT to Do Between Sessions
Suppose you have get asked to come for 6 treatments and you have just finished your first treatment.
There are some things that you should NOT do while waiting for the next treatment.
It is heavily discouraged to use sunbeds. The reason for this is that sunbeds can significantly increase the side effects of laser hair removals.
If you receive a fake tan, it MUST be at least 3 weeks before the appointment, or we will have to reschedule the treatment. And if you are tanning in the sun, you will be required to exfoliate the skin or reschedule the treatment.
We will only treat natural skin. This is for your safety and to guarantee that we provide you with the best service possible.
Laser Hair Removal at Home.
Some lasers can be used at home for hair removal. However, we do not recommend that you use these products. Below is our reason why:
- While the devices may cause some hair reduction, no large studies prove their validity. On the other hand, clinical laser hair removal has hundreds of studies claiming its long-term benefits.
- Many of these devices fall under the “cosmetic category” hence avoiding the strict regulations of medical products. Unfortunately, this means that they could be harmful to the skin.
- The device has a much greater chancee of causing injuries to the eye or other parts of the body.
Does Laser Hair Removal Work on Everyone?
Laser hair removal is suitable for men and women of ALL skin tones. You can work your entire body, including all sensitive areas.
The most popular areas that people ask for laser hair removal for are the face, leg, underarm, back, bikini area and chest.
Regarding skin type, work the laser hair removal on any skin colour. Below is a reference from the Fitzpatrick scale:
- Type 1: Skin that always burns (pale, freckles)
- Type 2: Skin that regularly burns with minimal tanning.
- Type 3: Skin that mildly burns and tans uniformly.
- Type 4: Skin that rarely burns and tans well (moderate brown).
- Type 5: Skin that very rarely burns and tans quickly (dark brown).
- Type 6: Skin that never burns (dark brown to darkest brown)
Costs of Laser Hair Removal
At Dr Aesthetica, we strive to offer transparency. This means that all our costs published on this website are valid and come with no hidden fees.
For laser hair removal, there are many possible treatments a patient can request. You can visit our dedicated price page for laser hair removal by clicking HERE.
Our prices will give you an idea of a competitive cost for an expert laser hair removal service.
BONUS: Do Celebrities Get Laser Hair Removal?
There are a HUGE number of celebrities that get laser hair removal.
Compiled by londonpremierelaser, below are 13 celebrities who regularly get laser hair removal. The group include a diverse demographic of male, females, pale skin and dark skin:
- Kim Kardashian
- Khole Kardashian
- Victora Beckham
- Eva Longaria
- Kanye West
- Chrissy Teigen
- Alyssa Milano
- Deepika Padukone
- Shraddha Kapoor
- Vanessa Hudgen
- Sara Sampaio
- Cameron Diaz
- Hoda Kobt
Get your Laser Hair Removal Today!
Laser hair removal treatment is one of the best ways to remove hair from your skin. It is a long-term option that can save you a lot of money and time.
If all pre-treatment measures are followed, there are minimal side-effects, and you can instantly go to work after the treatment is done.
Apart from an annual touch-up, no other maintenance is required.
So, what are you waiting for?
Visit our clinic or contact us to receive a high-quality treatment that will free up more than 40 days in your life.