The neck is an underrated aspect of beauty.
If you feel insecure about your neck, the best way to solve it is to get a neck lift.
Today we have consulted with our skin specialists at Dr Aesthetica and created a detailed guide on:
- What a neck lift is.
- How to get a nick lift.
- The risks and costs.
- And much more!
What is a neck lift?
Many people perform neck lift treatments as it is one of the first areas to show ageing. However, the neck can also be affected due to sudden weight fluctuations.
A neck lift works by reshaping the skin around the neck and jaw to reduce the appearance of “saggy skin that has wrinkles”.
Our patients often combine a neck lift with facelifts to give a youthful and refreshed look.
Specialist Recommendation: Profhilo and Microneedling
Dr Farmah, the medical director and lead doctor at Dr Aesthetica, recommends getting a neck lift through the non-invasive combination of Profhilo and Microneedling.
Let’s have a deeper look into these methods.
What is Profhilo?
Profhilo works by naturally regenerating and renewing the cells under the skin of your neck. This treatment provides you with a non-surgical way to transform your skin and give it a healthier look.
A Profhilo treatment comes with TONS of benefits such as:
- Smoother skin.
- Firmer skin.
- More tautness with your skin.
- A supple skin.
- Hydrated skin.
- Clear skin.
- A radiant skin.
The Profhilo is given through an injection. As a result, you may think that this treatment is similar to Botox or other dermal fillers.
This is false.
Profhilo injections are less mechanical than all other fillers out there.The treatment does not work by adding volume under the skin. On the contrary, it aims to simulate the natural skin renewal cycle, which may have slowed down with age.
The two main natural chemicals inside your neck that increase production with Profhilo are collagen and elastin. Both chemicals are VITAL to healthy skin. Once injected, your body starts producing more of these healthier chemicals. This means that every minute of your day (even while sleeping) is boosting the appearance of your neck.
How does Profhilo work?
The substance inside a Profhilo injection is usually non-crosslinked molecules of two varying Hyaluronic acids.
These acids can hold up to 1000 times their own weight in hydration and are known for their plumping and firming effect on the skin.
The Hyaluronic acid in Profhilo is described to “melt under the skin like honey being poured over fruit; it sticks to everything and distributes itself in a smooth, uniform manner.”
While this may sound weird, Hyaluronic acid is NATURALLY present in your skin. The body produces quite a bit of this acid daily. This is also why it is impossible to overdo Profhilo treatments.
Once the skin absorbs the extra amount of Hyaluronic acid, it starts drastically increasing the production of other healthy chemicals such as collagen and elastin. This all combines together to give you a LOVELY neck lift.
Length and Duration of Profhilo
Profhilo involves getting two injections that are spaced between four to six weeks.
After this treatment is done, you are set for a while. After that, most people come in for a touch-up injection every nine to twelve months.
Due to Profhilo promoting natural skin simulation, there are not many risks of experiencing puffy, bloated, or other skin issues.
What is Microneedling?
We have written a detailed guide on Microneedling that can be found here. Below is an excerpt from the guide on how Microneedling works:
“In this procedure, medical specialists use very small needles to prick the skin. This results in thousands of microscopic punctures.
Our body cannot allow these punctures (regardless of size) to exist on the skin. Therefore, it instantly starts the healing process of generating new skin tissue and collagen. The end product is smoother and firmer skin.”
Microneedling Duration and Length
The whole procedure for Microneedling takes 1 hour.
The Positive result on your neck usually lasts around six months. However, each skin is unique, and this time frame may be less or more.
Furthermore, your skin does NOT revert back to what it was before the Microneedling treatment. All you need is a short session to replenish the collagen on your skin, and you are good to go!
It is also possible to extend the six months for a more extended period by taking good care of your skin. Below are some tips for providing sufficient care for your skin. They have been taken from our guide on Microneedling:
- Get all your vitamins. This includes vitamins A, C, D, E and K. Also, take all the B vitamins.
- Do not smoke. Smoking has a negative effect on the quality of your skin, destroying the collagen in your skin.
- Decrease alcohol intake. Alcohol can dilate the pores of the skin.
- At least eight cups of water per day and more. Hydration can do miracles for your skin. So, drink up on water!
- Decrease sugar and processed food. Apart from better skin, this will also make you lead a healthier life.
Side Effects of Profhilo + Microneedling
The side effects of both treatments are minimal as both treatments boost the skin’s renewal process in a natural manner
You can expect some redness and bruise at the injection sites; however, both can resolve themselves after a few days.
Preparation for Profhilo + Microneedling
If you are getting a neck lift treatment using Profhilo and Microneedling, below are some valuable tips that you should avoid doing:
- Taking any drugs or supplements that cause the thinning of blood at least 72 hours before treatment. Examples of vitamin supplements include ginger, turmeric, vitamin E and fish oil.
- Using an alternative hair removal method (apart from shaving) for at least 1 week before the neck lift treatment. Examples of alternative hair removal methods include laser hair removal, waxing, electrolysis, etc.
- Trying any new cosmetics for at least 14 days before the treatment. Performing cosmetic therapies – such as physical exfoliation and chemical peels - is not recommended as it can make your skin too sensitive.
- Getting any UV Damage on our skin from overexposure to sun and UV beds for a week before your treatment
- Trying any new soaps, face cleansers, and putting make-up on the day of your appointment.
The procedure of Profhilo + Microneedling
The procedure for your Neck lift treatment is quick and usually only causes mild discomfort.
- If your skin specialist decides to start with Profhilo, they will first use a marker to mark five points on your neck. These points are called BAP (bio aesthetic points).
- You will then be injected in the points that were marked on your skin.
- For Microneedling, the procedure varies slightly depending on the type of apparatus used. At Dr Aesthetica, we use the SkinPen. This is an FDA approved device with 14 slick Japanese Needles that can create up to a thousand punctures in a few minutes. The depth of the SkinPen is adjustable by your skin and the varying fat on different regions of your neck. Most importantly, this Microneedling device for the neck lift is clinically proven to be effective. Surveys indicate that almost 90% of individuals who received treatment with SkinPen would recommend it to their friends or family.
- The specialist will sterilize the neck and then use the SkinPen to perform the Microneedling treatment.
Once you have received this Neck lift treatment, you must adhere to a well-thought-out skincare routine. This routine should consist of the following:
- Keep your skin hydrated: The skin often becomes dry after the neck lift treatment. At Dr Aesthetica, we often provide our patients with a recovery serum. This can be applied multiple times a day to keep the neck hydrated and fresh; however, make sure to stay away from chemical moisturizers that contain “active ingredients” in them.
- Maintain a neutral sleeping position: Make sure to sleep on your back. Sleeping on your sides and/or on your stomach can cause the fresh skin of your neck to rub against the pillow.
- Avoid blood-thinning drugs: Supplements that thin the blood should be avoided for at least 7 days before the neck lift procedure.
- No make-up: Avoid putting on make-up for at least 24-72 hours after the treatment. Most people get the treatment on a Friday so that the weekend can be spent without make-up.
- Avoid Sunlight: After getting a neck lift, your skin is vulnerable to damage. So, make SURE to not expose the neck to sunlight as it can cause premature ageing or other significant side effects.
- Do not pick your skin: The treatment may cause some skin to peel off. However, let the skin fall off naturally, rather than trying to force it.
- Limit heavy exercise: A walk around the neighbourhood is fine. But avoid trying to beat your 10km time record for at least a few days after the neck lift. Sweat can cause the recovery process to slow down.
Costs of Profhilo + Microneedling
At Dr Aesthetica, the pricing of our treatment is dependent on the type of skin you have.
We aim to be fully transparent with your pricing models, and more information can be found here.
Neck Lift Surgery
Suppose you are not comfortable with injections or other aspects of the combination of Profhilo and Microneedling treatment. In that case, you can also attempt to do a neck lift surgery.
What is a Neck Lift Surgery?
A neck lift surgery is a cosmetic surgery that reshapes the skin around the neck and jaw. This results in more minor sagging and a nice refreshed look.
The surgery works in two of the following ways:
- Removal of Turkey Wattle: Your skin may have loose skin that bunches around the throat. This is called “turkey wattle” and is addressed through surgery that tightens the skin.
- Banding: This occurs when the skin loses its elasticity and starts sagging. Hence resulting in the appearance of vertical bands, lines and wrinkles. To remove the saggy skin, your skin specialist will remove excess skin or use liposuction.
Neck Lift Surgery Risks
Since this is a form of surgery, neck lift surgery does come with a few added side effects. Examples include:
- Swelling and bruising that lasts for a few days.
- Tightness and tingling.
- Numbness around the skin.
- Skin discolouration, loss and puckering.
For preparation for the neck lift surgery, you will receive a complete health checkup to see if you are eligible for this treatment.
If you are deemed fit for this surgery, it is VITAL that you quit smoking for 4 weeks before surgery and 4 weeks after. Cutting down on cigarette consumption is NOT recommended.
On the day of neck lift surgery, make sure to wear loose and comfortable clothing.
Procedure for Neck Lift Surgery
While many people are often anxious about this treatment, neck lift surgery is a relatively straightforward procedure. In addition, most clinics offer you the option of going under general anaesthetic to fall asleep.
Your skin specialist will make a few incisions under your chin and behind your ears in this treatment. Then, with the use of tiny surgical instruments, your skin will be tightened, and liposuction may be used to remove some fat.
The whole procedure takes around three to four hours. Your neck is then wrapped in compression bandages that must be worn for a week.
You can return to work after a neck lift surgery after 10 to 14 days. After that, physical exercise must be abstained for at least 3 weeks.
For your healing, it is beneficial to set up a “recovery area” that consists of the following:
- Ice packs.
- Comfortable loose clothing that does not have to be pulled over the neck.
- Petroleum jelly and antibacterial ointment.
- Pillows that keep your head in a comfortable position.
- Someone who can assist for the first 24 hours after surgery.
Maintaining a healthy diet will also help with your skin improvement.
Get your idea Neck Lift
While neck lift surgeries are not offered by us at Dr Aesthetica, you can receive the non-invasive and safe treatment of Profhilo + Microneedling.
For more information, visit our clinic or contact us here.