Ask any dermatologist, plastic surgeon or aesthetic doctor; what is the biggest shortcoming of skin ageing?
More times than not, they will quote the same thing: the decline in the production of elastin and collagen needed to help the skin stay plump, firm and smooth. Any treatment that can counter this deterioration will no doubt prove popular.
A perfect example is non-surgical skin tightening which stimulates collagen production to firm up sagging skin and improve skin texture as well as skin tone.
From demographics to key market drivers, here's a breakdown of different statistics on the global non-surgical skin tightening market:
Key non-surgical skin tightening stats
- The non-surgical skin tightening market size is expected to reach $US2 billion by 2030 from $1.14 billion in 2021.
- Europe's non-invasive aesthetic treatment market is expected to reach US$ 5.83billion in 2028 from US$ 2.3 billion in 2021,
- The skin tightening market size is poised to grow at a 6.8% CAGR between 2020 and 2027.
- Skin tightening is the 6th most popular non-surgical cosmetic treatment accounting for only 1.4% of the market share. The leading treatments are Neurotoxins (Botox, Azzalure, Dysport, etc), Dermal Fillers, Skin Treatment (Chemical Peels, Hydro facials, etc), Hair Removal and Skin Treatment (Combination Lasers) in that order.
Source: P&S Intelligence, GM Insights
Non-surgical skin tightening demographics
- People aged between 35 and 65 showed the greatest interest in the non-surgical skin tightening market, spending US$900 million on treatments in 2021.
- In 2020, 92% of the 10.4 million non-surgical procedures performed globally were on females. This shows that the demand for non-surgical skin tightening treatment is still predominantly fueled by women.
- Demand for non-surgical skin tightening in the below 35 years category is expected to grow by over 7% CAGR in the next few years. This can be partly attributed to the rising impact of social media and celebrity beauty influencers on the perception of beauty.
Non-surgical skin tightening demand per region
- The expenditure on non-invasive procedures for skin tightening in the U.S. alone in 2020 was around US$463 million. The North American region (United States, Canada and Mexico) continues to hold the largest revenue share.
- The Asia Pacific (China, Korea, India, Australia, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia and Vietnam) is estimated to be the fastest-growing market and held over a 19% revenue share in 2020.
- Europe (Germany, UK, France, Italy, Russia and Turkey etc.) accounts for the second-largest share in the non-surgical skin tightening market owing to the growing adoption of minimally invasive treatments.
- The Middle East and Africa are expected to continue to account for the lowest market revenue shares for the foreseeable future.
Top market drivers
The global demand for non-surgical skin tightening treatments has been steadily rising due to the following reasons:
- Increased awareness about non-surgical skin tightening options through market promotions vendors and service providers (specialized dermatology centres and medical clinics and spas.)
- A growing ageing population which creates a large patient pool. The main problem faced by people 60-65 and older is sagging skin on the face, neck, and body, the solution to which is skin tightening.
- High disposable income in developed countries coupled with the willingness to spend more on skincare.
- Technological advancements in skin tightening devices and subsequent regulatory approvals.
- COVID-19 and lockdown consequences such as the zoom boom culture increased the demand for the non-surgical skin tightening.
Leading non-surgical skin tightening technologies
Companies offering non-surgical skin tightening solutions have been aggressively going after regulatory approvals, with new innovative products coming out every few months.
One example of this is Lumenis Ltd which released NuEra Tight with FocalRF. This RF-based technology provides personalized solutions for fat reduction, skin tightening, cellulite, and wrinkle reduction--all in one device.
- Radio Frequency (RF) -based non-surgical skin tightening market accounts for around 35% of treatments in 2021. This trend is expected to remain constant.
- Laser-based Skin Tightening is projected to witness a 10% growth rate between 2021 and 2026.
- Demand for at-home skin tightening devices is also rising and is expected to attain a CAGR of 12% through 2026.
Source: The Insight Partners
Hopefully, the facts and figures I've included here have helped shed some light on the non-surgical skin tightening market. It will be interesting to see if this treatment class can continue on its upward trajectory.
Now I want to hear from you:
What is your favourite non-surgical skin tightening treatment? Have you gotten the results you expected?
Remember, I always love suggestions on how to make these statistics even better.